Monday, March 7, 2011

March 5th: Dolphin’s Nose & Maura, Will, and baby Muirenn

Our view from the trail to Dolphin's nose (above the clouds!)

The clouds make their way up the steep hillside

In the morning, we got in touch with Will and Maura and were happy to hear that Maura was feeling a bit better. We made plans to meet up in the afternoon and headed out for a hike to a rock formation called Dolphin’s Nose, at Will’s suggestion.

The hike takes about an hour and a half, winding through small villages and down a long, steep path to a very dramatic rock precipice that drops off at least 1000 ft on one side. We were a too nervous to get too close that edge (although that wasn’t the case for all the tourists there), but managed to get some nice pictures and enjoy the stunning views.


After hiking back up the hill we finally headed over to Maura and Will’s house to see them and their baby, Muirenn (who was exactly one month old today). The two of them moved here three and a half years ago to teach at the Kodaikanal International School, a boarding school for grades K-12, which teaches the children of many of India’s wealthier foreign (and Indian) families. We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening catching up and getting to know the newest member of my family!
The building in the distance is our hotel
This was the side with the 1000+ ft drop-off! 
Emily on the Dolphin's nose
"I think I may have spotted something, governor, I'm damned certain of it..."
(Gutter Monkey)
Emily with one-month-old Muirenn (her newest 1st cousin once removed)
Muirenn's happy parents, Maura and Will 
Cats, Muirenn, Chris (front to back)
Opening gifts from family far away (while Idli
watches from the stairs)...


2 comments:

  1. C&E, They're either dehydrated giant cucumbers, or non-stringles buba-giant string beans. Or, they just might be young fitzers, a special plant, that when full grown, are used for mailbox posts.

    Congratulations to Maura and Will, Muirenn is a doll!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Tom told me it is a type of loofah plant. I had no idea they were edible at any stage until I looked it up on Wikipedia. What a useful fruit!

    Great photos, guys! I feel like I am right there with you (and I wish I was). Be sure to give my love to Maura, Will and Muirenn.

    ReplyDelete